South Carolina Real Estate Commission
110 Center Drive Suite 201
Columbia, SC 29210
Salesperson Prelicensing Education Requirements
- Be at least 18 years or older
- Provide proof of high school diploma or equivalent
- Be lawfully eligible to work in the United States
- Complete background check - See J. for more information
- The Commission must have an exam application on file before staff can receive the fingerprint checks. An applicant will receive instructions on obtaining the fingerprint checks after the Commission has received the application.
- Complete 60 hours (Unit 1 Sales) education before applying to take the exam
- Before applying for license, complete Unit II: Advanced Real Estate Sales Principles 30 hour course
- Successfully pass the State and National portions of the exam
- Submit completed application and pay required fees
- Within one year of passing exam must be sponsored by a broker-in-charge and apply for a license.
- Effective 7/1/2020, all applicants for initial Salesperson, Broker, Broker in Charge, Property Manager or Property Manager licensure with the South Carolina Real Estate Commission will be required to obtain state and national fingerprint-based criminal records checks form the State Law Enforcement Division and the Federal Bureau of Investigations. The transition from the previous background check provider is due to the law change in 2017. After the Real Estate Commission reviews the initial application, background check instructions will be provided to the application by email.
Broker Prelicensing Education Requirements
A. Be at least 21 years or older
B. Provide proof of high school diploma or equivalent
C. Be lawfully eligible to work in the United States
D. Complete background check
E. Have 3 years of “Active” licensed salesperson within the last 5 years prior to application to upgrade license.
F. Successfully complete Broker IIA and IIB (60 additional hours) then apply to take the exam.
G. A broker qualified applicant can also apply to become a Broker in Charge and establish an office under their supervision
H. Successfully pass the State and National portions of the exam.
I. Must apply for license within one year of taking exam
Salesperson and Broker Continuing Education Requirements
A. Renewal periods begin on the first weekday of May for your license expiration year (every two years) to be completed by June 30th
B. Must complete 10 hours of education
a. 4 hours must be in required topics
b. 6 hours can be elecitves
Broker in Charge Continuing Education Requirements
A. Must complete 10 hours of education to include:
a. 4 hour mandatory BIC Duties and Responsibilities
b. 4 hour mandatory core course
c. 2 hours of electives
Exam Provider Information
A. Must submit application to the state to be approved to take State and National Exam
B. Upon receipt of approval to sit for the State and National exam, please visit PSI’s website
C. With any questions about exam specifically please contact PSI at: 800-733-9267 or via email at email@example.com