Requirements to Obtain Your Texas Salesperson License
1. Must be at least 18 years of age.
2. Register for and complete 180 hours of required education:
In order to apply for the Texas Real Estate License Exam, the state requires you to complete 180 hours of TREC-approved college-level real estate courses. Brightwood offers three education options that fulfill the 180-hour requirement. Your courses are offered by Brightwood College | San Antonio (Ingram).
3. Consider obtaining a sponsoring broker
In order to practice as a real estate salesperson, you must be sponsored by a licensed Texas real estate broker. You and your sponsor will both need to complete and submit the Sponsorship Form.
4. Submit forms and fees to TREC
After completing the required 180 hours of licensing education, submit all education documents to TREC, including real estate school certificates.
Active or inactive initial license?
You’ll need to decide if you’d prefer an active or inactive license.
- To apply for an active license to practice real estate, include with your initial mailing the Salesperson Sponsorship (SSF-2) form signed by a licensed Texas real estate broker.
- To apply for an inactive license, submit only the Inactive Salesperson Application forms at this time. Submit the SSF-2 form later to activate your license.
Note: These forms can be downloaded at www.trec.texas.gov, or you may complete this process online at https://mylicense.trec.texas.gov.
5. Schedule your license examination and fingerprinting
After you receive your response letter from TREC approving you and directing you to the Candidate Information Brochure, you can schedule your exam with Pearson Vue. You will also receive direction on how to submit your fingerprints for review. You have one year from the date your application is filed to pass the examination.
6. Prepare for the exam
By taking Brightwood’s world-renowned Exam Prep course, you will have no surprises on exam day. The Texas Real Estate Exam Prep program is available as a Live Class or video OnDemand Course.
7. Take the state exam
Once you have passed the state exam and your fingerprints are on file, you will receive an Active or Inactive Salesperson License from TREC via email (remember to monitor your junk mail folder).