Posted by: Ted Highland, Product Manager
Published: January 24, 2019
When you’re preparing to sit for a real estate licensing exam, the first thing you need to be successful is a strong grasp of the material being tested. Pre-licensing classes and courses will have given you a good foundation in that aspect. But beyond that, there are a number of things you can do to tip the scales in your favor and ensure that you increase your odds of success on exam day. This article provides the tips you need to keep in mind leading up to, and during, your real estate licensing exam.
Before Taking Your Real Estate Exam
- Consider using flashcards to help you study.
- Get plenty of sleep the night before your exam.
- Have a full tank of gas in your car.
- Set your alarm and have a backup alarm so you get to the exam site early to reduce stress.
- Dress comfortably, and in layers, in case it is cold or warm in the test room.
- Eating before the test will give you energy and help you focus, but avoid heavy foods that will make you groggy.
When You Arrive at the Real Estate Exam Testing Center
- Do not talk to other test takers before the exam; repeat test takers or those who are anxious could sabotage you with negativity and cause you to doubt your knowledge.
- Go to the bathroom before walking in to the exam room. While you are allowed to go to the bathroom during the exam, you don’t want to waste time during the test.
- While you are waiting to begin the exam, engage in guided imagery for a few minutes to relax and reduce stress. Visualize a place that you find peaceful and beautiful. Imagine what you see, what you hear, what you feel, and what you smell while in this setting. If during the exam you start feeling spacey, or notice tension in your muscles, take a break from the exam for a minute or two and go back to this place. With this strategy, you can control the exam instead of having the exam control you.
Tricks for Answering Multiple-Choice Questions
- The real estate exam is designed to test your reading and interpreting ability as much as your knowledge of facts. Be prepared to re-read questions and answers until you have a good grasp of the problem.
- Always read the whole questions carefully; don’t make assumptions about what the questions or answers might be (they will not be the same questions and answer choices as your practice exams).
- Look for keywords.
- Read the entire question before you read the possible answers.
- Visualize the answer in your mind before looking at the possible answers; this way, the provided answer choices will be less likely to confuse you.
- Eliminate the answer choices that you know are not correct.
- Read all the answer choices before selecting your answer.
- Go through the entire exam and do the easiest, shortest questions first. Save the more difficult questions to come back to later; perhaps another part of the test will help you out with that question or trigger knowledge that you didn’t think you had.
- If you cannot eliminate at least two wrong answer choices, giving you a 50/50 chance of guessing the correct answer, do not guess without strategy. At the beginning of the exam, pick one answer, like ©, and mark all those questions that you are going to guess on with that letter. Statistically, you will get 25% of those questions correct.
- Keep a positive attitude throughout the test and stay relaxed. People who are positive and relaxed do better on tests than those who are negative and stressed out.
A Strong Foundation for Passing
You have a great chance of passing the exam with the right licensing education. Check out what Kaplan Real Estate Education has to offer in your state.