Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: Kaplan’s top priorities are the health and safety of employees, students, customers, and the community. If you have individual concerns, please visit our FAQ page ».

Kaplan University School of Professional and Continuing Education Kaplan University School of Professional and Continuing Education

Texas FAQs

Before you can qualify to take the Texas Real Estate Salesperson Exam, you must complete 180 hours of specified education, effective September 1, 2012. These 180 hours must include: 60 hours in Real Estate Principles (#0111), 30 hours in Law of Agency (#1111), 30 hours in Law of Contracts (#1200), 30 hours of Promulgated Contract Forms (#0322), and 30 hours in Real Estate Finance (#0411).

  • Consider Obtaining a Sponsoring Broker In order to practice as a real estate salesperson, you must be sponsored by a licensed Texas real estate broker. You and your sponsor will both need to complete and submit the Sponsorship Form. Once the form is accepted by TREC, your license will be issued and you may practice real estate under the sponsorship of the broker. However, you may take all of your education, apply for a license, and even receive an inactive real estate salesperson license without a sponsoring broker.
  • Submit forms and fees to TREC After completing the required 180 hours of licensing education, submit to TREC all education documents, including copies of college transcripts and real estate school certificates. You will need to decide if you would prefer an active or inactive license.
    • To apply for an active license to practice real estate, include with your initial mailing the Salesperson Sponsorship Form (SF2-O) signed by a licensed Texas real estate broker.
    • To apply for an inactive license, submit just the Inactive Salesperson Application Form at this time (ISL-O). Submit the SF2-0 form later to activate your license.
  • These forms can be downloaded at or you may complete this process online at
  • Schedule your license examination and fingerprinting. After you receive your response letter from TREC approving and directing you to the Candidate Information Brochure, you can schedule your exam with Pearson VUE. You will also receive direction on how to submit your fingerprints for review. You have one year from the date your application is filed to pass the examination. The telephone number for Pearson VUE is 800.997.1248.
  • Prepare for the exam. By taking our 2-Day State Exam Prep course, you will have no surprises on exam day. State Exam Prep is available as a Live Class or OnDemand.
  • Take the state exam. Once you have passed the state exam and your fingerprints are on file, you will receive an Active or Inactive Salesperson License from TREC.

• 60 hours in Real Estate Principles (#0111)
• 30 hours in Law of Agency (#1111)
• 30 hours in Law of Contracts (#1200)
• 30 hours in Promulgated Contract Forms (#0322)
• 30 hours in Real Estate Finance (#0411)

The exam is divided into two sections. The national portion has 80 multiple-choice questions and the state portion has 30 multiple-choice questions. You have 105 minutes to complete the national portion and 45 minutes to complete the state portion. You must score at least 70% or higher on both parts to pass.

They are not accredited, which means they do not transfer to the college level. But they are fully approved for real estate licensing in the state of Texas.

  • Currently enrolled students with questions about reprinting a certificate, locating/tracking materials, or requesting a transfer, please contact our Customer Support team Monday–Thursday 9:00 am to 7:00 pm, and Friday 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Eastern Time via email at or via phone: 


If you live in:   
California, call direct at: 800.660.8105
Colorado, call direct at: 800.660.2188
New Mexico, call direct at: 800.777.1171
Texas, call direct at: 800.638.9708
Minnesota, call direct at: 888.523.1020

  • For questions about accessing or viewing your courses, or assistance with online education, our Technical Support team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to assist you by phone or email. If you require immediate assistance, please call. Emails will be responded to promptly and always within 24 hours from being sent.

Phone: 888.213.5124

We make every attempt to make our websites and products mobile- and tablet-friendly. However, not all features are compatible with all tablets and phones.

  • When working on regulated course material, we recommend using a Windows- or Mac-based desktop or laptop computer.
  • We recommend the use of Windows 7-10 or macOS 10.9 or later operating systems.
  • We recommend the use of current Chrome, Firefox, or Safari browsers. We also support Internet Explorer 11 and Edge.
  • For business customers, please verify the browser choice and use with your manager or IT department.
  • We recommend online learners have at least a 2MB connection.

All Kaplan Real Estate Education licensing, postlicensing and continuing education courses are submitted and approved by that state's governing body.

Each state handles reciprocity differently. We encourage individuals who are licensed in a state and desire to become licensed in additional states to contact the target state regulator body for details. After obtaining the requirements necessary to be licensed in that state, our customer service team can assist you with matching courses to state reciprocity rules. 

What is the difference between a sales person and a broker? A real estate salesperson or broker is a professional licensed by their state to help consumers with real estate matters.  A salesperson must work under a managing or principal broker, this is the broker who is in charge of the brokerage firm.  Some states only license brokers, in that case, new brokers may be called broker associates and are required to work under a managing or principal broker. Much like a salesperson. 

A managing, principal or employing broker is a licensed broker who is in charge of a brokerage firm and the salespersons or broker associates of the firm. Typically to become a managing broker at least two years of active license experience and further course work and sometimes license exams are required.

No matter if you are a real estate salesperson, broker associate or managing broker the job is the same work with buyers, sellers, tenants and landlords to help them reach an agreement.

An appraiser gives an opinion of the quality, value, or utility of a specific property. An appraisal is usually required whenever real estate is sold, mortgaged, taxed, insured, or developed. A typical appraisal might include physically inspecting the property, measuring the improvements and collecting the associated costs, preparing a site drawing, writing the physical description of the property, researching official records and deeds, finding similar properties to compare, and writing a final appraisal report.

  • Make a list of brokerage firms you want to talk with. If you don't know where to start, browse real estate ads to see if some firms seem more interesting than others.
  • Visit your local Chamber of Commerce or Board of REALTORS® to find out which firms are best represented. Pay attention to television and radio advertising, billboards, and the “For Sale” signs you see in yards.
  • Make appointments with the managing or principle broker of each real estate firm on your list. Larger firms may have recruiting managers.
  • Ask the broker for an itemized list of startup expenses. Are you required to join local, regional, and national professional organizations? Are there recurring monthly or quarterly expenses for membership?
  • Find out if advertising expenses are paid by the agency. How about “For Sale” signs and other signs? Do they provide them to agents free of charge?
  • Who pays for long distance telephone calls to clients? How about photocopies, stamps, and other office-related expenses?
  • Does the firm provide in-office computers and printers for real estate agent use, or are you expected to bring your own?
  • Ask if the firm carries errors and omissions insurance for agents. If so, find out what's covered. Discuss the policy with an insurance carrier to make sure it's adequate.

According to, most real estate agents earn on average between $36,566 and $47,610 annually. How much agents make depends on the number of transactions they complete, the commission paid to the brokerage, and their split with the sponsoring broker. If you are talking with a franchised agency, be sure to ask what percentage of each sales commission is deducted and sent to the franchising company. Top producers earn a lot more than the average real estate agent. Each real estate office sets its own standards for top producers, but it's probably safe to say that a top producer would need to sell at least one home a month to qualify. Mega-stars earn $200,000 and up per year. Very few real estate professionals earn a salary versus commission.