Oregon Broker Licensing
Educational Requirements to Obtain a Broker's License:
- Be at least 18 years old.
The Oregon Real Estate Agency must receive your fingerprints and run a routine background check before the state grants you a license to sell real estate. Since it can take two to three months to complete this process, you should start right away. It is not unusual to begin this process before you have started your education requirement. Please see the Agency website for further information.
- Successful completion of seven Agency-approved courses that total 150 hours:
- Real Estate Law - 30 hours
- Real Estate Finance* - 30 hours
- Oregon Real Estate Practices - 30 hours
- Contracts - 15 hours
- Agency - 15 hours
- Real Estate Brokerage - 20 hours
- Property Management - 10 hours
- Have successfully passed both the Oregon and National portions of the PSI Broker Real Estate Exam.
- Have completed, signed and submitted the Broker licensing application provided by the Oregon Real Estate Agency along with the required fee.
Starting January 1, 2011, new real estate brokers renewing active an active license must:
- Complete the 30-hour Advanced Real Estate Practices course approved by the Real Estate Board containing the three-hour Law and Rule Required Course before their first active license renewal.
Starting January 1, 2011, real estate licensees (brokers, principal brokers and property managers) renewing an active license must:
- Take continuing education from Certified Continuing Education Course Providers;
- Complete all 30 hours of continuing education within the eligible course topics established by the Oregon Real Estate Agency;
- Complete a three-hour Law and Rule Required Course approved by the Real Estate Board every renewal period as part of the 30-hour requirement; and
- Maintain their own records of continuing education for hours completed on or after January 1, 2011. Records include certificates of attendance issued by providers and the Continuing Education Record form available on the Oregon Real Estate Agency website - www.oregon.gov/REA.